What Makes a Great Drug and Alcohol Rehab Program?
If you have been battling an addiction to drugs or alcohol and you’re ready to put it behind you, or you have tried quitting before, but have relapsed, it might be time to consider a rehab center. Addiction is sly mental illness. It convinces you that you need to keep using a substance or that you don’t need help stopping, but in reality, this isn’t the case. The majority of addicts do need help in order to overcome their addiction, and a reputable rehabilitation center can provide you with the support and tools that you need in order to learn how to recondition your thinking and take control of the disease so that you can learn how to live your life free of drugs and alcohol.
Desert Cove Recovery, the premier rehab center in Tucson, has helped countless people beat their battle with addiction, attain sobriety and get their lives back. We can help you, too.
The Problem with Addiction
Addiction is a chronic disease or mental illness. It affects the reward, motivation and memory functions of the brain. Those who suffer from it are convinced that the substance makes them feel or behave better, or that they can stop using a substance any time they want to. A person who is addicted to drugs or alcohol believes that they are in control; however, it’s the addiction that is in control. A person who has an addiction will have strong cravings for a substance, and typically, other aspects of his or her life suffer in order to fulfill the desires that the addiction creates. For example, a person who is addicted to alcohol will have strong cravings for it, cannot control him- or herself around alcohol, and the desire to use alcohol and the effects caused by using are destructive to other parts of his or her life.
A person who does not have an addiction will be able to identify a negative behavior, such as using alcohol excessively, but a person who an addiction cannot. Instead of admitting that there is a problem, an addict will find a way to justify his or her actions and will continue the behavior.
Recognizing the Signs of Addiction
In the beginning, the signs of addiction may be subtle. The person may be drawn to using a particular substance, may try to find situations where the substance is present, and may have a few episodes of using the substance excessively with no feelings of regret afterwards.
The more an addict uses a substance, the more the addiction progresses. Eventually, obvious signs of a problem will arise, including:
- Irritability when not using the substance or after using it
- Participating in risky behaviors, such as drinking and driving
- Decreased social interaction
- The development of health issues, such as memory loss, excessive illness, changes to the skin, hair or teeth, and weight loss or gain.
It is also not uncommon for addicts to briefly recognize that there is an issue and try to stop using, but often, they will end up giving into the addiction and using again.
If you are experiencing any of the above-mentioned signs of an addiction, it may be time to consider professional assistance at a rehab center.
What is a Rehab Center
One of the biggest challenges that addicts face is the inability to stop using a substance. They fall victim to their addiction, continuing to use drugs or alcohol, despite the damage it is doing. A rehab center is a safe haven for addicts. It provides them with the tools that are necessary to overcome an addiction to alcohol or drugs, helping a person understand his or her addiction and offering techniques to prevent the urge to use a substance.
At Desert Cove Recovery, our patients are guided through the process of recovery by professional clinicians who are highly trained in handling addiction. We offer a holistic approach to treatment, which truly helps our patients not only identify and understand their addiction, but overcome it.
The course of treatment at Desert Cove Recovery includes the following:
- For people who are severely addicted to drugs or alcohol, detox will be the first part of rehabilitation. In order for a person to receive treatment, the body needs to be cleansed of the toxins that have accumulated over the course of drug or alcohol use. During detox, patients often experience withdrawal, and the symptoms can be unpleasant, dangerous or even deadly. Patients receive 24 hour supervision during detox and will receive care from our trained professionals as needed.
- After detox is completed, an assessment will be completed. This allows us to determine the severity of a patient’s addiction and the type of treatment that will be most effective.
- In order to help our patients acclimate, we offer an orientation prior to treatment. During this time, patients will learn what they can expect while they are at rehab, and what the goals of rehab are.
- Treatment for each person will vary and is based on individual needs; however, during the treatment process, patients can expect to undergo individual and group therapy, as well as family therapy, educational lectures and activities that promote mindfulness and accountability.
- Post-Treatment Education. Prior to leaving our facility, we prepare our patients for transitioning from rehab to the world by offering tools, strategies and information that will help them stay on course with their sobriety and avoid relapse.
At Desert Cove Recovery, we are confident that you can overcome your addiction. We are here to help guide you through the process.